1/11/13

Post-Partum Recipes

On Dec 11, 2012 I was blessed with a healthy baby girl.  My four year old son was probably the most happiest of us all as he really wanted a baby sister. And now starts the cycle of feeding, burping, changing diapers, night duty, etc etc etc. But the fun part is all the food. During my first pregnancy, I gained more weight after pregnancy than during - okay fine I am exaggerating a bit but my day started with ladoos and ended with ladoos with lots of sweet ghee laden sheera and chapati/baji in between. I was loving it all but weight loss was really a struggle. So this time around, not only did I watch what I ate during my pregnancy but even post partum, I have put a "as needed" rule as opposed to "must eat" rule.

Post partum care is taken very seriously in India. So with my mother here taking care of business, she has been putting some old school rules down on me:

1. Complete isolation from the outside world for 40 days
2. Daily full body oil massages for mom and baby
3. Tucking the tummy tight with a belt or sari
4. Following a strict post partum diet

Okay get real - its me you are talking about. I had three huge house parties, did complete house reorg, cooked 30 meals and blogged the recipes, and played soccer everyday with my 4 year old within those first 40 days. Hopefully I will still be okay when I am old and gray :) Anyhow, I thought it would be neat to share some of my yummilicious foods I get to eat. these are standard recipes/dishes you will see followed in many Indian households for post partum mothers. This is a master list of some of the recipes. Click on the link below each title to go to the recipe. The ingredients used in these recipes claim to have several benefits - aid in digestion and milk production, promote healthy bones and teeth, provide energy, etc.

I. Soups:
- Chicken soup
- Rasam
- Vegetable soup
II. Masala doodh - Milk
III. Aleevache ladoo - Dessert balls made from special seeds called aleev
http://slurpnburp-mithu.blogspot.com/2013/01/aleevache-ladoo_22.html
IV. Dinakcha ladoo - Dessert balls made from edible gum
V. Methi ladoo - Dessert balls made from fenugreek leaves
VI. Methi Danay Bhaji - Methi seeds preparation
http://slurpnburp-mithu.blogspot.com/2012/03/dana-methi-fenugreek-seeds.html
VII. Gavhacha sheera - Dessert made from wheat flour
VIII. Aleevachi kheer - Condensed style milk with alive seeds
IX. Rava sheera - Dessert made from cream of wheat
X. Karela sabji - Bittergourd preparation
XI. Khus Khus Poli  - Poppy Seeds in a chapati
XII. Shepyacha Pani - Concoction of Dill Seeds
http://slurpnburp-mithu.blogspot.com/2013/01/shepyacha-pani-dill-seeds-concoction.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment