11/17/11

Buttered Buckwheat

Buckwheat is not related to wheat and even though it looks like a grain it is neither a grain nor cereal.  It is actually a fruit found either roasted or unroasted.  I picked my roasted buckwheat from the whole foods store totally clueless as to what it was! I finally got around to making buckwheat today and had to research the who/what/where/how of buckwheat. Buckwheat can be used as an alternative to rice and is rich in fiber (good for digestive system), flavanoids (acting as antioxidants), and in magnesium (responsible for improving blood pressure and improving one's cardiovascular health). Buckwheat is used in diets for persons with diabetes as it reduces or controls blood sugar levels.  These are just some of the many health benefits to this powerful food.

Buckwheat has a very nutty earthy flavor that can be masked or seasoned easily.   I personally found this recipe too bland for my taste buds and decided to complement it with guacamole.  But,  I wanted to keep the recipe basic so I could learn what it tastes like in its basic form. 

1/2 cup buckwheat
2 cups boiling water
1 Chicken bouillon cube (optional)
2 medium garlic pods, finely chopped
Butter/Margarine
Salt/Black pepper

1. Wash and drain buckwheat.
2. Let the water come to a rolling boil.  Add the buckwheat. Drop the chicken bouillon cube.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until all the water is gone or until the grain has reached a consistency you want.  Drain any remainder liquid.
4. Heat butter in a pan.  Add the chopped garlic and roast for a minute or two.  Turn the heat up high and add buckwheat.  Toss well.  Add salt and black pepper. Toss again.

Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. I always looked at buckwheat and never got it. You knwo me, I have to have someone I know vouch for it before I try it myself! Thanks for the recipe. Also what does it go well with best? like a vegetable. Onemore question. Which place to you recommend for non-Desi spices? You use a lot of middle eastern, mexican and oriental spices where do you get them? - Spandana

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me the taste was "Tasteless" - Being used to the Indian palate - this would require a lot of spicying up (atleast for me). But I think given its benefits its a must try. I have been researching a lot of new grains or fruit in this instance :) etc to substitute our plain old white polished non nutritious white rice! So this was one of the things - next I am going to explore amaranth. Look for the post coming up !
    I would thnk any veggie and any spice will go with buckwheat. Just like any rice/grain the cooking times will vary - i dont like mushy rice/dals etc so adjusting the cooking time accordingly will be a challenge. Not only vegetable but you could also pair it with black beans or garbanzo beans and serve as a main course.
    My mid east spices come straight from Israel :) A friend of the family brings it from there its homemade :) However, I am sure you can get good stuff online. For mexican and Asian foods, i would just look out for local ethnic food stores in your area.

    ReplyDelete