9/15/10

Anda Methi - Fried egg in Fenugreek Leaves


Ingredients and Method:
1.5 cup finely chopped methi leaves
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 or 2 eggs
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 or 2 garlic pods, whole but crushed
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
Dash of Asofoetida
1/4 tsp each of turmeric, cumin, and coriander powder
1 tsp jaggery (or more)
1 green chilli

If you are using fresh methi leaves, break the tips ie leaves of the methi discarding the stems.  Wash, wash, and wash the fenugreek leaves. And right when you think you are done, wash them again. The best way would be to soak them in pot full of water and drain and repeat a few times until there is no dirt/grime left.  Now finely chop the methi with a knife. Rinse the methi again.

Heat oil and add the garlic pods. When slighly brown, add mustard seeds. When they sputter, add the asofoetida.  Now add the finely chopped onions and sautee till they are translucent.  Now add the tomatoes and stir.  Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander, and green chilli.  Add the methi leaves and sautee. Cook covered for 3 to 5 minutes.  You may need to add just a little bit of water to prevent the methi from burning. Remember to cook on low to medium flame.  Add salt and jaggery (the jaggery takes away the bitterness of the methi leaves and can be substituted with sugar!)  The methi should  be cooked (when you take a bite it should not taste raw). 

This dish needs to be served right away. So do not break in the egg, until ready to serve.  Make a well in the middle of the pan.  Spray some cooking spray or a little oil for the egg. Break an egg or two. Season with salt and pepper.  Cover and cook for a minute or two. Gentely flip the egg and cook covered for a minute or two. The yolk should not be runny (well unless you want it but I do not recommend it!)  Voila! Anda methi is ready to eat. This particular veggie goes well with chapati or fulkas!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, You don't know me, but I ran into this blog through Keya's facebook page. And being the fan of methi that me and my husband are, I had to absolutely try this recipe. I made it for dinner last night and it turned out absolutely awesome. Thanks for the good work and keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! you absolutely made my day. MOst of my readers (to date) are my friends. So it means a lot to have an outsider view. Please feel free to fwd my blog to your friends. and keep visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can share some of my recipes with you too! I am a big foodie myself and I love to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey MithuDi , I did try your recipe and it turn out to be very good.Thanx for sharing, we expriced something new taste today.
    I also got compliment from my husband in marathi " Utkrushtha" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey MithuDi, I did try your recipe and it turn out to be very nice.thanks for sharing.
    I got compliment from my husband " Utkrushth" :)

    ReplyDelete