9/13/10

Pico de Gallo





















This is interesting: Until I started writing this blog, I never knew what Pico de Gallo meant! I mean I knew it is basically a salsa served as a side with Mexican dishes. This is wikipedias definition of Pico de Gallo - "Spanish for "rooster's beak", also called salsa fresca, pico de gallo, is a fresh, uncooked condiment made from chopped tomato, onion, and sometimes chilis (typically jalapeƱos or serranos). Other ingredients may also be added, such as lemon or lime juice, fresh cilantro (coriander leaf), cucumber, radish or other fresh firm pulpy fruit such as mango" Thanks Wiki! In Indian cuisine, we call this koshimbir (Marathi word).  Whatever the name, this is one killer salsa in my opinion. It goes well with grilled "anything!" or as a side in wraps/burritos or even as toppings or as a dip!


Ingredients:
 medium roma tomatoes, chopped finely
1/4 cup finely chopped red onions (I actually do 1/2 cup as like onions!)
1/8 cup finely chopped cucumber
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of salt/black pepper
Pinch of sugar
1 serrano peper, chopped finely
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
Juice of 1/2 of a lime
1 tbsp vinegar

Add all the above ingredients in a bowl. Using your hands, toss the contents while givine it a gentle pressure so as to soften the veggies. Set aside in a fridge for atleast an hour so that the contents marinate for a while. 
I absolutely love love love me some pico de gallo!

No comments:

Post a Comment