2/24/11

Thai Basil Chicken


I always found the knack that mom had of just guessing what would have gone in to making a certain dish at a restaurant or a dinner gig!  I used to think, how in the world does she know that. And I caught myself doing that a few months ago at this local Thai restaurant.  Each time that we visit a Thai restaurant, I do the red/green/panang curry.  But, this time I tried this new dish.  I could not remember the name so I am just calling it Thai Basil chicken. I do not know how they make it, but let me tell you, I came pretty close to recreating the taste! This dish does not have too much of a curry, but just a little sauce to get your rice/noodles swimming in the aromatic world of basil.  I have to always remember that I live in a small town with access to only your mainstream groceries - so this is making the best of what I have.

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chicken (chopped in small pieces)
6 garlic cloves, chopped in small pieces
2 tbsp ginger paste
2 green chillies
1/2 medium onion, chopped lengthwise
1 small green pepper, chopped lengthwise
2 stalks of celery, chopped at an angle
3 tbsp Dark soy sauce
2 to 3 tbsp Fish sauce
3 tbsp Oyster sauce
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
Salt and Sugar

Prepwork:
1. Boil water.  Wash and cut chicken into pieces.  Drop into the boiling water for 3 minutes or so. Remove from water and set aside.
2. Chop all the vegetables, wash and pat dry. 

Now we are ready to make the dish.  Heat vegetable oil in a wok until it is really hot.  Add the garlic and chillies.  Fry a little. Add the onions and fry.  Add the ginger paste and continue frying for 3 to 4 minutes.   Remember to keep the heat on high.  Now add the remaining vegetables except for the basil.  Sautee for another few minutes.  Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, and fish sauce.  Add the basil leaves and toss well.  Add the hot water (use the same water used to boil the chicken) to the wok to get some sauce going.  About 1/4 cup at a time. Do not add too much water - this is not a gravy dish.  Add a pinch of sugar and salt.  Stir fry for a few minutes.  Remove from the work.  Set aside. 

Heat oil in the wok again.  Add 1 chopped garlic.  Add the chicken (no water) and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the vegetables mix back to the wok and mix well. Serve with white or brown rice.

Note:
1. Skip the chicken if you are vegetarian and add tofu instead.  Do not boil tofu ofcourse. You can directly stir fry it like the chicken.
2. You must use fresh basil leaves for this dish. There is no other substitute if you want this particular taste.
3. The fish sauce is pretty pungent and those who are non-veg eaters but do not like seafood, do not like this taste. So use according to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment