7/19/10

Creamy Pasta Florentine
























My readers often ask me if these are my recipes or do I take them from elsewhere. I am big on giving credit where credit is due. So, when I use a recipe from a book or a site or a person, you will be sure to see their name associated with it. If not, then almost always they are my recipes. Of course, I am not Italian so I sure as heck did not grow watching my grandmas cook Pasta Florentine; which I can say about Indian food. But over the years of watching Food Network, noticing the contents on boxes of Lean Cuisine and Steamers, and reading foodie magazines - I have picked up some basics like knowing that Pasta Florentine has Spinach!  So check out this dish and tell me what you think. This one is great for toddlers and kids who hate blanched veggies like spinach and zucchini and squash!!

Ingredients:
2 cups Rotini Pasta (cooked according to package directions)
Oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup finely chopped onions
2 cups chopped frozen spinach
1/2 medium sized zucchini (chop in small pieces)
1/2 meduium sized squash (chop in small pieces)
5 oz can of Cream of Chicken soup (I used campbells)
1/4th cup shredded velveeta cheese
1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup milk
Spices: Dash of Garlic powder, 3/4 tsp Italian seasonings, Salt to taste, 1/4 tsp Paprika powder, Dash of Cajun Seasoning powder, Pinch of Cumin powder and Pinch of Turmeric powder(optional)
Parmesan cheese

Method:
1. Keep all the veggies chopped and ready to go
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. When hot add the finely chopped garlic - do not let it brown.
3. Add onions and sautee till translucent. Now add the spinach, mix well, and cook uncovered till the spinach wilts.
4. Now add the zucchini and squash, mix well, and sautee for about another 3 minutes.
5. Now add the entire cream of chicken soup can. If vegetarian, substitute with cream of mushroom. Add some milk to get the clumps out of the soup. Mix well so that the soup and the veggie mix become one. Let this simmer for about 2 minutes. Add velveeta cheese and stir until it melts.
6. Add Italian Seasoning (I have a ready to go mix from costco), dash of garlic powder (I love garlic), paprika, cajun seasoning, some cumin and turmeric powder (optional), worcestershire sauce, and salt to taste. Keep stirring because the cream of chicken soup keeps thickening up. If its too thick and you cannot stir, add some milk again.
7. Now add the "cooked" pasta. Mix well so that the sauce coats the pasta.
8. Adjust seasonings to taste. Sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese on the top (Optional). Serve hot with a side of Garlic bread or Salad.

Tips:
1. When cooking pasta, add salt and some olive oil in the water. Drain the pasta right away and give it a cold water bath. Drizzle some oil again to keep the pasta from sticking.
2. Add milk little by little at a time so as to not make it watery.

10 comments:

  1. hey mithu wishing u all the luck...and will def try ur recepies though i dont like cooking so much .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds yummy! I am going to make it :-) Thanks Sanskriti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds yummy! I am going to make it :-) Thanks Sanskriti!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo good Mithu!!!! I'm going to try it :-) I'm so excited that you have Indian dishes on here too so now I can make (or rather try) them and I know it will be authentic!!! Congrats on the new blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just tried this and said it was "Aiiight!" Aayan and I on the other hand loveddd it. His input was its too bland. It is always hard to control this because everyone's spice level is so different. If it is indeed bland for you, add some cayenne pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I make something similiar but I need to try this recipe- worcestershire sauce & cajun seasoning seems delish- thanks Mithu- Keep it up!

    -Mini

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mini - i look forward to your recipes. you promised :) As well as your wedding pics :)
    I have been adding Worces sauce in a lot of things lately esp in Sauteed veggies. Gives it a distinct taste. And cajun seasoning - well its an Inamdar thing. No matter what part of the world we are and what food we are eating, we shamelessly ask the waiter for "Cajun Seasoning!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can the Velveeta be substituted? Also is the soup a must? I am out of these 2 but want to try the recipe. Any other way to get the consistency? Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sure Spanadana you can do that. however, to get the creamy texture the soup is important. I used can of soup because I wanted something low cal. (it was a low cal cream of chick soup). So you haev two options:
    1. either you can use heavy cream but be careful because you dont want to end up something too milky!!
    2. make a roux: In a pan, take good qty of butter, melt it, add all purpose flour (like say 2 or 3 tbsp) and keep stirring till it melts and blends together.add some milk (dont add all at once just little at a time to get the desired texture keep stirring) you have made a basic base which can act as a cream. Add some salt and black pepper and garlic powder. (Roux can burn easily dont walk away from the pan :) )

    You can skip velveeta (again u wont get that creamy texture plus the taste!) but do u have any other creamy cheeses?! what about cheddar cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this recipe for dinner last night and we loved it! thanks Sanskriti!

    ReplyDelete