7/11/10

Indian Spices - The Basics















Thanks to Kim's question of "Where can I buy these spices?", here is a post of the wheres and whats of Indian spices.  This is a picture of a "Masala Dabba" in other words "Spice Box" that almost every Indian person will have in their pantry! You can buy small packets of these at a local Indian store.

From left to right:
1. Turmeric (yellow powder) - Has many medicinal properties, imparts a deep yellow color and a signature taste to food;
2. Cumin seeds - Used in tempering in oil and is always the start or the base of most dishes,
3. Mustard seeds - Again used in tempering in oil as the first step in most dishes,
4. Red chilli powder
5. Cumin powder -Ground cumin seeds
6. Coriander powder - Ground coriander seeds.
7. Garam Masala (in the center) - A basic mix of many spices

Many brands will carry these spices at a local Indian grocery store. And any brand of spices will work. Except in certain dishes that I cook over time, I prefer one over the other and I will specify that as I go.

Also note that there are many different versions of Garam masala because it is basically an art of mixing spices together. So although the basic taste will remain somewhat similar, there will be differences based on which brand you buy. At my house, I use Amma's Garam Masala (my mother in law made this at home) But, a store bought one should work. (PS: Although I love Shaan brand of spices, for a basic Garam Masala do not buy Shaan Garam Masala***)....

Final note, there are two ways a Garam Masala is sold - Saboot or Khada (Whole) and Ground. Some recipes will call for Whole GM and some will call for Ground GM.

** Reason being that Shaan is a) very strong and b) Saboot or Whole and not ideal for basic veggies. But I do love Shaan and one day will have a separate post on their masalas!

















Kokum: Black pods in the back of the tray!

My very beautiful and curious friend Charanya wanted to know what KOKUM is. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garcinia_indica for a detailed description. But, here is the down and dirty - its tangy and used to impart a tangy flavor to dishes. Used mostly in coastal cooking in my experience. You could substitute with Tamarind, Lime, or Tomatotes. But I believe you can buy it at a local Indian grocery store for a nominal cost and it is yummy!!!

Signature dishes: Kokum kadhi (Coconut curry with kokum), Kokum sarbat (digestive yet yummy drink), Fish preparations

7 comments:

  1. Aww...thanks for the compliment and the explanation! :) I need to get rid of my Ikea dabbas and get a Masala dabba! Haven't seen one outside of my grandma's kitchen! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cha - I have the ikea dabbas too :) I love them!!!! I have about 30 boxes full of spices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charanya- I believe you can buy one @ Taj Grocers off N. Lamar.

    -Mini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cha .. I have seen curry dabbas at Gandhi Bazaar too!! I have one .. but stopped using it .. coz I end up not being as neat as Mithu. SO I actually like keeping them in seperate containers. But it does look pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post on Indian spices is great. I want to try your Asparagus Mung Dal Sabji this week so both blogs will be helpful, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So my dabba has coriander-cumin powder combined in one katori.. and the free one gets lavang (cloves) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mithu, I have a related question about storing spices and other Indian cooking essentials (legumes, rice, lesser-used masalas) in the pantry. What's the best way to stock and organize these items? Can we see a picture of your pantry or other visuals to see what kind of containers to use and how to label them? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete