7/17/10

Kalonji Lehsen Naan - Nigella seeds and Garlic Bread


Heaven on earth!!!!

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cup Unbleached All purpose flour
1/2 cup water
1 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1.5 tbsp yogurt
Salt to taste
1/2 tbsp Kalonji or Nigella seeds
3 cloves of roasted garlic, chopped


Method:
Peel some garlic, crush it, drizzle some olive oil over the top and bake it in an oven at 300F until it turns a light brown color. Chop and keep aside.

Add some sugar and yeast to warm water.  Set aside for few minutes until the water rises and froths.

Sift flour and salt together. Once the froth mixture is formed, add it to the dough. Add yogurt. Add the chopped garlic and kalonji seeds. Start kneading the dough. Use some warm milk and oil to work the dough. Knead for a few minutes until the entire flour is incorporated into a dough. Wrap in saran wrap and keep aside to allow the dough to rise for about 1 hr.

Make separate balls to form naans. I got about 6 naan dough balls. Roll them out into thick naans using flour as needed. I baked them in my BBQ grill. Oil the naan and oil aluminum foil. Place the naan oil side down on the foil. Close the grill and allow the naan to cook. Baste it with melted butter or margarine until cooked.

Happy Eating!!!

5 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! This looks fantastic...you make it sound so easy to make it...I KNOW I will mess it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me! I been trying this for years. I give up and start again after I forget how bad it was the last time. But this is the first time I made them on the grill and they were decent. Going to make them again today and try to add egg and go with straight up maida this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks sooooo good!!! I've tried this before and ended up with crispy bread. Can't quite master the soft naans :( what temperature did u grill it at?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! i don't think I would ever *think* of making naan at home .. amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dipal I didnt see what hte temp was on the BBQ grill. I will note it down next time and I will let you know .. good point!

    ReplyDelete