7/15/10

Singaporean Curry Noodles

When I cook, I am never ready with my ingredients. I just turn the heat on and start chopping some garlic (I love garlic). Then I think about what next!! But, not with this dish.  One has to have all your ingredients ready to go - timing is everything. Time to add, time to toss, time to know exactly when to stop cooking the veggies and noodles, so on and so forth. I was especially scared making this dish because I hope my friend Cha approves this dish - She is from Singapore and knows her Singapore noodles!!!! Cha - Do you approve? :)

Ingredients:
1 cup vermicelli
1 cup cabbage, julienne 
1 cup carrots, julienne
1/2 cup green peppers, julienne
1 cup onions, julienne
1/2 cup celery, julienne
2 green onions stalks (and some more for garnish)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Sriracha sauce/Sambal olek
2 tbsp Curry powder (or more depending on your taste)
2 tsp soy sauce + 1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp vinegar + 1/2 tsp vinegar
Fish sauce
Vegetable oil
Sesame oil
1 egg, beaten

Ready? Set? Go!!!

1. First prepare the vermicelli following package directions. Make sure you add oil and salt to the boiling water when you cook the vermicelli. Vermicelli cooks really fast so make sure you are standing right there tasting for doneness. If you overcook the noodles, no guarantee for the taste of this recipe ;) Drain when done, add cold water, and set aside for a few minutes. Now add some oil and toss well while separating the noodles.  Put the vermicelli in the fridge until you are ready with your veggies (The deal here is that you want the noodles as dry as possible)
2. Heat some vegetable oil in a wok and let it get real hot. Add the onions, saute for a minute. Add the chopped garlic and ginger. Sautee for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add all the veggies and keep stirring. Keep the flame on high because you do not want any water to accumulate in the wok. Keep stirring. Add some seasonings: 1/2 tsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp vinegar, salt, and black pepper.  Saute until veggies are cooked to your taste (I like my veggies a bit crunchy!)  Set aside.
3. Now we are ready to season the vermicelli. Heat vegetable oil in a wok. Add few drops of sesame oil (this is very strong, so add only a few drops).  Add the sriracha sauce, soy sauce, and 1 tbsp curry powder and constantly stir without letting it burn (just few seconds).  Add the noodles and toss well coating the sauces. Keep the flame on high. You dont want the noodles to cook really at this point but just to coat. If you think the wok is too dry, add some veg or olive oil.  Add the veggie mixture, add the remainder 1 tbsp curry powder and toss again. Add some some drops of fish sauce. Set aside.
4. Heat some oil in a wok (I promise this is the last time!).  Add the beaten egg and make and omlette. Add some salt and black pepper. When cooked cut the omelette into long pieces and add on the noodles.
5. Garnish with some green onions. Keep soy sauce and vinegar handy for adding on the top.

- Fish sauce is really fishy. You may not like the taste so use cautiously.
- If the dish is not salty enough, adjust your seasonings.
- Curry powder needs to cook or else it will taste raw. I used Mccormick curry powder.







5 comments:

  1. Mithu - this looks absolutely delish! YUM! Can't wait to try it and taste it! :) I am curious as to why you call it "Singaporean" though? Is it because of the curry powder? I have never actually had a curry noodles dish in Singapore (except for the amazing curry powder that comes with the Singaporean version of Maggi, it's seriously the best maggi curry powder ever!!) I am a BIG fan of Asian food in general though, so will defn give it a shot! Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blame it on American Chinese food! :) Thats the name of the dish they serve at most chinese food places here. I know its curry powder becuase i can taste it.. i had it at a friends place.. and tried to recreate it.
    u know how italian food in italy is diff from italian food in america ... kind of like that i guess..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I notice American Chinese restaurants also put vermicelli in any "Singaporean" dish, although vermicelli is not that common in Singaporean food. :) Try a curry powder from an Asian store next time also. I find that those are better than Americanized versions like Mccormick. I remember reading an Indian recipe once that asked people to use this (instead of garam masala) and I was like Nooooooo!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup exactly! I am sure I would prolly not like Chinese food in China as much as I like it here. Yes i am big fan of Asian food too - I mean Asian American food. Yah they do sell Madras Curry Powder - i have seen them use it on HGTV. I should try that next time. The closest Asian store to me is 30 miles away!!!!!!!!!! can u believe it!! even indian!!!! I am dying for fresh cilantro and bamboo shoots every day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur! I keep all the veggies prepped and cut up only for Asian cooking. Esp. when I use the wok. Otherwise with Indian cooking, I have nooooo clue what I am cooking till I am 5 mins. into it. :D

    ReplyDelete