8/24/10

Bharli Tondli (Stuffed Gherkins)























There are probably a million versions of Bharli "Something". Either Bharli Vangi (Eggplant) or Bharli Kaarla (Bittergourd) or Bharli Tondli (Gherkins).  My aunt Jyoti Mami used to make this mean Bharli Vangi back in India. I would sit by her as she prepared the masala (stuffing) and prepped the vangi by stuffing each one of them on a plate.  My aji would not let me eat the kaccha (uncooked) masala but mami would sneak a bite or two in my mouth and I can to this date taste perfection in my mouth!! This is my version of mami's bharli vangi but I used tondli instead!

Ingredients:
About 30 tondlis slit in between but left intact

Masala or Stuffing:
2 cups finely chopped onions
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp chilli powder (Add extra if you like more spicy)
2 tsp coarsely ground peanut powder
1/2 to 3/4 tsp Kala masala
1 to 2 tsp tamarind paste
Dash of sugar

For tempering:
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
Dash of Hing

Start by cutting tondli by making slits in them without cutting them altogether. See image above.  Prepare the masala or stuffing by adding all the masala ingredients together in a bowl. Use your fingers to work the mix together - this will ensure that the onions kind of breakdown and soak the masala in. 

Now stuff the masala one by one in each tondli as shown in the image.  Have all of your tondlis ready. You may have some masala leftover which is fine.

In a flat pan, heat some oil.  When hot add mustard seeds and when they sputter add some hing.  Now slide all the tondli at once from the plate to the pan.  Let the tondlis sear on medium to high heat for a few minutes. Now, gently give the pan a toss so as to sear the other side of the tondlis again for a few minutes. 

You will need about 1 to 2 cups of water that you will add a little by little at time to cook the tondli as well as the raw onions. I cooked my bhaji uncovered for about 20 minutes - it took longer this way but I prefer cooking it this way as opposed to covered.  I think the taste differs when cooked covered. So every five minutes as the water evaporates add some more and let the bhaji cook.  I added water about 4 times or so and cooked on low flame for about 20 minutes.

Note:
I adjusted my seasonings towards the end i.e Sugar, Salt, Spice levels etc!

1 comment: