8/3/10

Vangi Pavta Masala - Eggplant and Lima Beans





Why are moms such awesome cooks!? I wish I was half as good as my mom or my aunts.  My aunt Surekhama cooks this amazing egglplant/lima beans dish. I tried to recreate that recipe but it was not as good as her for sure. But, it did come close. This dish uses Kala masala, which is a very common masala used in most Maharashtrian dishes. Dont ask me how they make it - its just darn good! I  have not seen Kala masala in stores in the US. However, recently I saw Goda masala made by Badshah in one of our local desi stores. This dish would go so well with bhakri which is a type of an Indian bread. Maybe that will be my next venture!
Ingredients:
4 medium eggplants, cut into fours
1/2 cup lima beans
2/3 cup onion, cut lengthwise
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1/8 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp turmeric
Dash of asofoedita
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of fennel seeds
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp Kala Masala or Goda Masala
1/2 of a medium tomato
A pinch of tamarind, dissolved in water
1/2 tsp jaggery
Salt

Cut the eggplant into fours and soak them in water with salt added to it.  Set aside for ten minutes.  Cook the lima beans in the microwave for about 5 minutes.  Make sure the beans are covered in water so as to not dessicate them. Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard seeds. When they sputter, add asofoedita and fennel seeds.  Now add the onions (both) and sautee. Add turmeric powder and chopped cilantro and continue sauteeing till onions turn translucent.  Add the finely diced tomato and continue sauteeing. Add the cut eggplant and sear it on low flame for about 5 minutes.  Now, flip the side so the other cut side will get seared.  When browned, add the lima beans (dont add the water but reserve the water for later).  On high flame, mix the onion mixture, eggplant, and lima beans and sautee.  Turn the flame on medium and now add the cumin powder, coriander powder, tamarind paste, and kala or goda masala.  Add some of that reserved water from the Lima beans and cook covered for a few minutes.  When the eggplant starts to disintegrate, the dish is ready.  Sprinkle the jaggery and salt to taste and give it a stir.  Garnish with cilantro.  

9 comments:

  1. Kala Masala? Never heard of it... gotta try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks delicious! Are these authentic Marathi dishes or innovations by the cooks in the house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kala masala is a typical maharashtrian masala - especially used in bharli wangi/stuffed eggplant! But to answer your question I would say its a mix of both

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just saw goda masala in Indian store yesterday for the first time too! I got a packet from my mom-in-law.. pretty strong stuff I must say! I don't really know which marathi dishes use goda masala explicitly though. Never cooked eggplant like this, will try it. Lima beans are the same as 'Vaal' in gujju I think (?!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a kala and a goda masala. My aunt says its the same thing. I think they are quite different. and yes they are strong.. i think its the coconut and garlic in them! We use it in veggies and goda masala in veggies and dals.
    u know we have Vaal in marathi too but they are different than lima beans. so i am not sure if our vaal is same as your vaal. i got the lima beans from an american store but u can get them from indian store too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh !! could remember the sankranti time. As a maharastrian, have memories of the 'bajrichi bhakri and pavte vangyachi bhaji' during the "Bhogi"..
    But for some reason , pavte are so nicer than the lima beans :P isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Planning on making this tonight. Had a question - when you remove the soaked eggplants, do you just drain it or squeeze the water out? Also - I am planning to use the bigger eggplant for this since thats what I have in my fridge. Hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom said you soak the eggplant in hot water with salt. :)
    Btw u just drain them no need to squeeze the water they dont really absorb water.
    with the bigger eggplant just cut them into pieces and soak the pieces in water.

    ReplyDelete