8/17/10

Mujahadara - Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions























Since I am on a Middle-Eastern taste bud fest, I thought of making Mujahadara. I have eaten this at Alibaba's a while ago -you know that amazing restaurant on Main Street, Delaware! So I went online to look for some recipes. The recipes online use the three main ingredients - Rice, Lentils, Onions and for spice - Cumin.  But, ofcourse I felt that was not enough. So I added some of my own touch - And thats what cooking is all about, isnt it!? Atleast so says my friend, Harshala and I agree :)

2 medium onions, sliced lengthwise and caramelized
1/2 cup Brown Lentils (I used Whole Masoor)
1/2 cup Brown Rice
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 balls of Allspice
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp vinegar
Salt

Cook rice according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Cook the lentils. Drain and set aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add the onions and let carmelize by adding some sugar. This step should take a good 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. The onions should be reduced and brownish at the end. Set aside.

In the same pan, add some butter in a pan. Add the garlic and the allspice.  Add half of the carmelized onions.  Now add the cooked lentils. Give it a stir. Add the brown rice and mix well. You may add some olive oil at this stage if the mixture is too dry.  Add the turmeric, salt, and vinegar. Stir around on high heat till everything mixes well for about 2 to 3 minutes.

Garnish with the remainder of the carmelized onions.

Note: Try not to overcook the lentils. I kind of liked them crunchy but cooked as opposed to mushy in this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment