8/16/10

Cilantro Hommous





















What is the correct way to spell Hommous? Humous? Hummous? Who knows! But this is one yummy dip!  We went to this Arabic restaurant last night - one of my favorites in Delaware - Alibaba's on Main Street, Newark. We have been going there for years now. Their homous, eggplant dip, Moroccan chicken, and kabobs are to die for. But, if you want their "out of this world" pita wraps, you must go there during lunch time only. I have been trying to replicate their garlic yogurt sauce for years - have not quite cracked the code yet.  Neither have I managed to crack their hommous recipe. But, this one does the trick in my household.

Ingredients and Method:

1 tsp Sesame seeds, lightly roasted and powdered
1 16 oz can of Garbanzo beans
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Salt
Olive oil
Dash of paprika
Dash of Italian seasonings

Lightly roast sesame seeds until light brown and aromatic. Powder the sesame seeds.  Add the powder to the food processor and drizzle some olive oil into the powder to make a paste.  Add the garbanzo beans and all the remainder ingredients to the paste food processor. Drizzle oil slowly as you run the food processor. I like my hommous a bit creamy so I added about 1/8 cup oil slowly as I was running the blender.  Most restaurants have a bit of runny texture - I wonder if they add water!!?  Anyhow, top it off with some olive oil and a dash os paprika and Italian seasonings. Serve as a dip or dressing for sandwiches.

7 comments:

  1. mmmm I love hummus! (That's how I spell it :P) Never tried making the cilantro version. Sounds good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. try increasing the cilantro a little for a bit stronger taste. I kept it a little mild

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you ever tried store bought tahini instead of roasting your own sesame seeds? I usually buy the fresh ground one from Whole Foods. I feel that makes the hummus a lot more creamier than roasting your own seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes i have and its sooo great and creamy. Honestly I like store bought hommous better too Hahaha. but this is economical and i can control the fat. I love Costco's hommous!! Have you tried their roasted red pepper one!? I am goign to do that next

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no .. i wasn't talking about store bought hummus. Just the tahini part. Instead os roasting and grinding your own sesame seeds, you can used 2-3 spoons of Tahini(sesame paste). I think it will make a big difference to your home made one .. making it a lot more creamy.

    Yes, I love costco hummus too. It's sad but I end up wasting it when I get it coz its SO huge!! I love their pine nut one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. no no i got ur the first time itself. I end up wasting the tahini because thoda hi lagta hai na..
    apart from that i like store bought homous better. maybe its the preservatives taste :) U waste Costco hummus! dude we inhale that stuff

    ReplyDelete