8/25/10

Tondlichi Upkari






Tondichi Upkari or Gherkins Bhaji brings all those fond memories I have of my Aji - Lalita P.  She was Manglorean married to a Mumbaikar Saraswath - my Papa Ajoba. Ajoba always said he was the luckiest man on the planet because he was married to the most beautiful, talented, and best cook ever! And Aji sure was all of that. Summer vacations in Borivali meant getting spoilt by the grandparents as well as my mama mami. Anyhow, Aji made the best Konkani food ever - Dalicha toy (Dal), Fanna upkari, Upma, Sanja, Mashyachi kaliputti, Talela Paplet, Upkaris, and even Kaffi Uddak. Okay thats a lot to translate but one day I will have all these recipes on the blog in her honor. Ofcourse I can never recreate her taste because no one I mean no one could cook like Aji. But, here is my version of her tondli upkari.
Ingredients:

4 cups tondli cut lengthwise
2 to 3 red chillies
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
Dash of asofoedita/hing
4 to 6 curry leaves
2 medium potatotes, cut lengthwise
Salt to taste
Sugar

Heat oil. Add mustard seeds and let them sputter. Now add the hing, curry leaves, and red chillies. Now add the potatoes and sautee. Add some turmeric and salt.  Now add the cut tondli and give it a stir. Add some water.  Cook covered on medium flame checking for doneness (about 5 to 8 minutes).  Add paprika on the top for color (optional). Adjust seasonings. Cook unconvered for a few more minutes.  Serve with chapati.

Note: Depending on the age of the tondli it takes longer or shorter to cook.

1 comment:

  1. one of my favvvv upkaris!!! :D So cute that you know all the amchi dish names! :D

    ReplyDelete